Types of hearing aids in India – India, alone is home to 63 million people having complete or partial hearing loss. Ear machines and hearing aids are a powerful way to empower people with hearing disabilities. Though hearing aids are unable to completely restore hearing abilities, they significantly enhance the hearing ability in deaf people. In this blog compiled by Zeneth Healthcare, you will learn about hearing aids, types of hearing aids in India, and how to choose a suitable hearing aid for you or your loved ones. Hearing aids are invaluable in empowering people with hearing disabilities and enhancing their daily communication.
The importance of hearing aids can never be overstated enough, as they offer a range of benefits to people with hearing disabilities. However, there are many different types of hearing aids in India, and it can be confusing to choose the most appropriate one for your needs. Read this blog by Zeneth Healthcare and gain valuable insights on the types of hearing aids in India and how to choose the most suitable one.
Understanding the Inner Workings of a Hearing Aid
A hearing aid is an electronic device designed to amplify the sounds of a person with partial or complete hearing loss and help him hear more effectively. The device can be worn inside or behind the ear. The National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD) reports that works in synergy with many components to help deaf people hear more effectively. A hearing aid device is an assemblage of many different components such as:
- Signal Processing Chip
- Receiver (speaker)
The microphone collects all the sound from the environment and converts sound waves into an electrical signal. The electronic signals are further amplified to make them audible. An amplifier increases the amplitude of the sound waves collected. The signal-processing chip processes the amplified signal which enhances speech clarity and reduces background noises. Once the signals are processed, they are sent back to the receiver and allow the hearing aid to deliver the sound directly into the ear canal of the user.
Key Considerations Before Purchasing a Hearing Aid
To be able to buy the best ear machine for you, it is essential to consider a few important things. Not all hearing aids are suitable for everyone, therefore, it is beneficial to go through this checklist before buying an ear machine for you or your loved ones. Some key points to consider before choosing a hearing aid are mentioned below:
- Before buying a hearing aid consider the type and style that will go best with your lifestyle.
- Another important factor to consider is the affordability of a hearing aid device. You can compare the hearing device price and cost of many retailers to get the best price.
- Do not forget to check out the additional features offered by your chosen hearing aid devices such as noise reduction, directional microphones, and telecoil technology.
- Battery life is a crucial aspect to be considered when purchasing different types of hearing aids in India. Look for longer battery life to save your time and effort wasted in replacing the batteries.
- Always check the warranty offered by the hearing aid manufacturer as it safeguards your investment against unexpected malfunctions.
Different Types of Hearing Aid in India
Your hearing professional can recommend one or more types of hearing aids based on your preference and degree of hearing loss. Most hearing aids are available in a range of colors and metallic finishes to complement your hair or skin tone. The information about different types of ear machines in India will help you make an informed decision. Go through the list of hearing aids in India to get the most suitable one for you.
A BTE or Behind-The-Ear hearing is placed behind the ear and comprises a clear connecting tube attached to the earmold. It comprises a microphone, battery, compartment, and controls. It is considered suitable for mild to extreme levels of hearing loss. Some of the key features of Behind-The-Ear (BTE) hearing aid are mentioned as follows:
- Suitable for Children and Adults
- Fit Comfortably Behind the Ear
- Easily Adjustable volume and settings
- Suitable for variable degrees of hearing loss
- Offer wireless connectivity with smartphones or other devices
As the name suggests In-the-ear (ITE) hearing aid is placed inside the ear and fills in the ear’s outer part. They are comparatively bigger than the ITC aid but can be easily managed. It comes with a special power and potential to install a telecoil. It is highly suitable for people with severe to mild hearing loss. Read the key features of In-the-ear (ITE) hearing aid below.
- Include telecoil and wireless connectivity options
- Less visible than the BTE model
- Custom-made to fit hearing canal
- Suitable for severe to mild hearing loss
The RIC or Receiver-in-canal (RIC) is a receiver-style hearing aid inserted into people’s ear canals. It is barely visible when worn and uses thin electrical wires instead of a plastic acoustical tube that helps reduce the distortion. It is a comfortable fit for mild to moderate hearing loss. The key features of Receiver-in-canal (RIC) are mentioned as follows:
- Smaller, discreet receiver in the ear canal than BTE.
- Suitable for mild to severe hearing loss.
- Offers more natural sound perception
Completely-in-canal or CIC is a hearing aid that is designed to fit completely in the ear canal. The tip of a small plastic “handle” is the only visible part that is used to insert or remove the hearing aid device. It is fit for mild to moderate hearing loss. Some of the key features of Completely-In-Canal (CIC) are mentioned below:
- Custom-made to fit deep within the ear canal
- Very discreet and barely visible when worn
- Suitable for mild to moderate hearing loss
Invisible-in-the-canal or IIC is designed to be inserted further into the ear canal than other types of hearing aids. Invisible-In-The-Canal shall be removed daily to promote good ear health. It is best suited for people with mild to moderate hearing loss. Some of the key features of Invisible-In-The-Canal or IIC are mentioned below:
- Inserted entirely in the ear canal.
- Completely invisible outside.
- Suitable for mild to moderate hearing loss.
Choosing the Best Type of Hearing Aid in India
All types of hearing aids are different and shall not be worn without seeing medical advice. To help you choose the best ear machine we have listed important guidelines. Read the guidelines given below to know how to select the best hearing aid device as per your specific requirements.
- Seek expert advice to get more personalized recommendations or you can undergo a medical test to ensure which hearing aid is suitable for your hearing loss.
- You can also ask for a test drive with hearing aids, offered by many hearing aid manufacturers. This way you can get an idea about the compatibility of a hearing aid without having to pay for it.
- Do not believe in the misleading advertisements and claims made by many hearing aids. Always consult an audiologist before buying an ear machine online.
Hearing aids are essential tools and lifelines for people with hearing disabilities. They immensely contribute to the overall well-being, social integration, and productivity of people with hearing disabilities. Besides, enhancing hearing abilities, hearing aid devices also reduce mental health issues, falls, and cognitive decline, ultimately leading to a healthier and more fulfilling life.